The past two years have been a difficult one for many people, and the travel industry has been hit particularly hard.
Since the outbreak of Covid-19, the staycation industry in the UK has seen some significant changes. With a notable, but inevitable change, many people are now choosing to holiday closer to home.
Another change seen was a significant increase in demand for leisure home ownership, including motorhomes, campervans, touring caravans and static caravans or lodges.
The team at Caravan Sleeps have conducted some research into the demand for static caravan ownership and how consumer search has evolved in the last two to three years.
How Many Static Caravan Homes Are There?
According to the NCC, there are an estimated 365,000 caravan holiday homes in use.
Static Caravan Ownership Trends
- Search demand for the term ‘static caravans for sale’ increased by 124% between August 2020 and August 2021.
- Popular holiday destinations, Scotland and North Wales saw the highest search demand for static caravan ownership.
- Yorkshire saw the highest increase in search volume with a 190% increase between August 2020 to August 2021.
- Scotland, North Wales, Cornwall, The Lake District, Norfolk and Yorkshire were the most in-demand locations according to Google search data.
- The search term ‘static caravans for sale near me’ surged by 307% between August 2019 and August 2020.
- The most dramatic increase in search volume was for the term ‘static caravans for sale on small sites’ with a whopping 1,627% increase from August 2020 to August 2021.
Searches For Static Caravans For Sale Increased By 124%
The search term ‘static caravans for sale‘ saw a substantial increase between August 2020 and August 2021 with an increase of 124% in search volume.
Estimated monthly searches in Google UK for ‘static caravans for sale.’
- August 2019: 27,100
- August 2020: 33,100
- August 2021: 74,000
Scotland and north wales received the highest search in google when searching for static caravans for sale
- The most searched for locations to buy a static caravan in the UK in August 2021 were Scotland, North Wales, Cornwall, The Lake District, Norfolk and Yorkshire.
- Scotland and North Wales received the highest demand.
- Yorkshire saw the largest jump in search demand up 190% between August 2020 and August 2021.
demand for local static caravans surged by 307% between August 2019 and 2020
- The search term ‘static caravans for sale near me’ saw a substantial increase between August 2019 and August 2020 (307%)
- The trend continued into August 2021 with a further increase of 83% year on year.
searches for static caravans on small sites saw a dramatic increase of 1,627% between august 2020 and august 2021
- The search term ‘static caravans for sale on small sites’ saw a dramatic increase of 1,627% between August 2020 and August 2021.
How the data was compiled
We compared estimated Google search data between August 2019, August 2020 and August 2021 using Semrush, a popular digital marketing software platform used for keyword research and online ranking data.
permission to use data
Caravan Sleeps grants you permission to reuse, host, or repost the graphics and images from this article.
When doing so, we ask that you kindly attribute the authors by linking to Caravan Sleeps, or this page.
Get in touch
If you would like to get in touch with Caravan Sleeps to request any further information please feel free to contact us here.